Bob Johnson, sheriff of Santa Rosa County in Florida, made headlines last week when he encouraged homeowners to shoot intruders. Some viewed it as "controversial." Others, people with their heads not totally lodged up their rectums, viewed it as common sense. Sheriff Johnson had the opportunity to clarify or walk back his statement during a Fox News interview. Instead, he unloaded again.
"If somebody breaks in your house in Santa Rosa County, and you shoot and kill 'em, the chances of them reoffending after that are zero—and we like those odds. In Santa Rosa County, if you break into a house, you roll the dice."
Sheriff Johnson followed up by pointing out that 99% of the county love law enforcement and the other 1% are in jail. AKA, the "Milton Hilton."
grabbed headlines last week
after saying in a press conference: “If somebody is breaking into your house, you’re more than welcome to shoot at them in Santa Rosa County. We prefer that you do, actually. […] [I]f somebody's breaking into your house, you've got all the right in the world to defend yourself."
Had this been New York or California and you defended your home, not only would you be going to jail, they'd probably find an excuse to give the intruder your home and all your stuff. You know, for "equity."