"To hell with ratings and talent": A humble Adam Sandler kills as he accepts the Mark Twain Award for comedic genius
At this point in the news day, we could all use a laugh. So here's Adam Sandler.
It's a more serious, subdued Sandler. He is accepting the Mark Twain Award for comedy. This is the event Chris Rock was at where he mocked how stupid Democrats were to think arresting Trump would work out for them.
Even a subdued, reflective Sandler still has his moments of Sandlerness:
Adam Sandler Acceptance Speech | 2023 Mark Twain Prizeyoutu.be
"Hello, my name is Adam Sandler and I am the Mark Twain Humor Prize Award for Greatness in American Funny, and bringing the thunderous belly laugh to the sweet people of planet Earth. [...] And as you guys babbled on and on about me, I couldn't help but think to hell with ratings and talent."
The Mark Twain Prize for American Humor is presented to individuals who have "had an impact on American society in ways similar to" Twain. It was won in the past by Eddie Murphy and Dave Chappelle.
It was funny hearing Sandler say he was discovered by Dennis Miller, because I was watching Saturday Night Live when Sandler debuted on the Weekend Update...and he CHOKED. So bad, Miller had to tell him to calm down. Then in the very next skit, Sandler came out as Axl Rose signing nursery rhymes and the rest was history.
Love of Sandler might be a generational thing. But for me, I've always appreciated that he is who he is and his movies are what they are. Nothing but dumb laughs. He's spent his career picking an exotic place to vacation and writing a movie around it as an excuse to bring his friends and family. And when all else fails, he does a Grown Ups movie just so he can hang out with Rock, Schneider, and Spade.
Though ironically enough, my favorite film of his is Funny People where he plays an "Adam Sandler-like" comedian and they make fun of "Adam Sandler-like" movies.
God bless the Sandman!
Brodigan is Grand Poobah of this here website and when he isn't writing words about things enjoys day drinking, pro-wrestling, and country music. You can find him on the Twitter too.
Facebook doesn't want you reading this post or any others lately. Their algorithm hides our stories and shenanigans as best it can. The best way to stick it to Zuckerface? Bookmark LouderWithCrowder.com and check us out throughout the day! Also, follow us on Instagram and Twitter.
- WATCH: Track Star kicked off plane during narcissistic rant, claims flight attendant 'disrespected' her ›
- Will Smith's "sources" do him dirty, leak to press Chris Rock hurt his feelings ›
- 'That's not racist': Chris Rock exposes Meghan Markle playing race card against her Royal Family in-laws ›
- Ben Shapiro Reacts to Comedian’s Bit About Him: ‘You Sick Son of a B****' ›
- Jada Pinkett-Smith "insiders" claim when Chris Rock calls Will Smith a b*tch, he's really obsessed with her ›
- 'Everyone called him a b*tch': Chris Rock finally goes OFF about Will Smith slapping the taste out of his mouth ›
- Chris Rock Drops a Deuce on Amber Heard: 'Once You Sh*t in Someone’s Bed, You're Guilty of Everything' ›
- Rob Schneider tells audience if Joe Biden was a dog, you'd put him down: 'Let's be honest about this' ›
- Chris Rock warns elitists of what's REALLY going to happen if they arrest Donald Trump ›
- An 'evil Elmo' named Adam Sandler (different guy) is terrorizing Santa Cruz, police warn 'do not engage' ›
- Reporter defends San Francisco from Dave Chappelle's attacks - Louder With Crowder ›