This Tweet Storm Comparing Soviet Russia to Silicon Valley is Amazing
Twitter can generally be a cesspool of sucktitude. But occasionally bright spots shine through, like coins in a puddle of vomit. Take this tweetstorm comparing Silicon Valley to Soviet Russia. It's totally on point.
We know the computer nerds in the Valley, like the commies in Russia, are against freedom of expression (see Google Employee Writes Reasonable Anti-SJW Memo. Outraged Leftists Call for His Head… and CAUGHT: Report Confirms Facebook Wanted to Ban Trump Posts…). But the remarkable comparisons don't end there.
- living five adults to a two room apartment - being told you are constructing utopia while the system crumbles around you— anton (@anton) 1530823717.0
- deviation from mainstream narrative carries heavy social and political consequences - networked computers exist but they're really bad— anton (@anton) 1530824279.0
- elite power struggles result in massive collateral damage, sometimes purges - failures are bizarrely upheld as triumphs— anton (@anton) 1530824560.0
- the United States as a whole is depicted as evil by default— anton (@anton) 1530825488.0
- the economy is centrally planned, using opaque algorithms not fully understood by their users— anton (@anton) 1530857671.0
While humorous, it is slightly alarming. The people in Silicon Valley are the ones who control information. Specifically our information, and how we largely access it. And this is the system of government they want. Regardless of how much Donald Trump flirts with Vladimir Putin. Or doesn't flirt, as seems to be more the case. But facts schmacts.
Here's another similarity between Silicon Valley and the USSR: they're blissfully unaware that their way of life is making them miserable, ignoring and demonizing the way of life which would actually make them, and the rest of our modern world, happier. Free market capitalism. Of which they're largely benefiting while trying to dismantle. Baffling, really. A concentration of super smart people, when amassed in a mob, transform into a brainless horde.
But hey, it's Friday. It's good just to laugh at the brazen cluelessness.