Taylor Swift Gives NYU Commencement Address Where She Tells Graduates to 'Embrace Cringe,’ and She Did
When I graduated college, our commencement speaker was a woman who had graduated from our university and went on to earn a doctorate in physics and perform research in her field. This seemed appropriate. We were graduating, after all, and hearing from an actual scholar who went on to be successful is valuable to new college grads. At New York University, however, they invite Taylor Swift.
Not only was Taylor Swift invited to speak before the Class of 2022 graduates of NYU, but she was awarded an honorary doctorate in fine arts for simply being a celebrity activist. She’s not the first celebrity to be invited to give a commencement speech or awarded an honorary doctorate, but the fact that this occurs often doesn’t make it any less silly. Celebrities are overpaid clowns who make a living entertaining us, not intellectuals, scholars, or role models. But then, most in the academy aren’t intellectuals, scholars, or role models, so I suppose it’s fitting enough.
Swift began her speech by saying, “I’m 90% sure the main reason I’m here is because I have a song called ’22.’” And to be honest, that probably wasn’t the only reason. She’s also a popular celebrity who works hard to push leftist myths and talking points. That is, more or less, why she was awarded her honorary doctorate.
Taylor Swift NYU inspirational commencement speech | LiveNOW from FOXwww.youtube.com
But to prove her intellectual prowess and demonstrate exactly why she was worthy to be speaking at such an event, Swift stared into the teleprompters and dropped such pearls of wisdom as “You get what you get” and “let it go.” No really.
Kudos to her for having a modicum of humility. “I, in no way, feel qualified to tell you what to do.” But it didn’t stop her.
One of her more colorful pieces of advice for the graduates was to “learn to live alongside cringe.”
“No matter how hard you try to avoid being cringe, you will look back on your life and cringe retrospectively. Cringe is unavoidable over a lifetime. Even the term ‘cringe’ might someday be deemed cringe.”
It’s as if an AI computer was asked to write a speech after reviewing a stash of memes or something. I’d like to take this opportunity to say the moment Swift decided to include an entire segment about cringe in her speech, it become cringe.
If this speech or the fact that Taylor Swift was honored with a doctorate doesn’t prove the kind of joke the academy has become, I don’t know what will.
The Louder with Crowder Dot Com Website is on Instagram now!Follow us at @lwcnewswire and tell a friend!
Celebrities Should Stay Out of Politics | Crowder Classicswww.youtube.com
- Denzel Washington Delivers Real Talk on Hollywood Arrogance ... ›
- Stephen Colbert is Okay With You Paying $15 for Gasoline - Louder ... ›
- Sean Penn Demands Oscars Boycott If Zelenskyy Isn't Invited ... ›
- Matt Damon Shocked Trump Supporters Aren't Horrible People ... ›
- State Health Secretary Doubles Down on Mask Mandates - Louder ... ›
- After TikTok Celebrity Ava Majury's Dad Shoots Her Stalker, She ... ›
- Gov. Jim Justice Tells Better Midler to Kiss His Dog's Butt - Louder ... ›
- EAT CROW: Celebrities, Politicians Who Supported Jussie ... ›
- Maria Shriver Offers DUMBEST Reaction to Kyle Rittenhouse ... ›
- Chris Pratt Mocks Celebrity Apologies, Addresses Haters Over Him ... ›