Ricky Gervais: Here's Why 'Cancel Culture' Crosses the Line
It's remarkable how, in 2020, someone can become a staunch free speech advocate simply by believing that free speech should be a thing to begin with. Ricky Gervais has assumed that role, simply by being Ricky Gervais (see RICKY GERVAIS USED THIS YEAR'S EMMY NOMINATIONS TO REMIND HOLLYWOOD OF ITS (ALLEGED) PEDOPHILE PROBLEM and RICKY GERVAIS MOCKS MAN WHO IDENTIFIES AS EIGHT-YEAR-OLD IN 'AFTER LIFE'). He tweets something, someone else tells him that he shouldn't say that, he tells that person to go f*** themselves. Suddenly, a culture warrior is born. Yes, it's getting to be that silly.
This is where cancel culture comes in, because everyone has different definitions of it. Perma-offended woke twats claim they are just exercising their "free speech" and the free market by going after people who say things they don't like. Gervais thinks that's a load of bullcookies and recently explained the difference.
When people are trying to get someone fired because they don't like their opinion about something that's nothing to do with their job, that's what I call cancel culture. You turning off your own TV isn't censorship. You trying to get other people to turn off their TV, because you don't like something they're watching, that's different.
I'd argue that there's a political element to it as well. It's not just that these douceburritos look to cancel things they don't like. They want to cancel anyone who has a platform that isn't being use to promote a leftist political agenda. Doesn't matter if it's Ricky Gervais, Barstool Sports, or a local restaurant owner that says something nice about cops on Facebook. If you have a voice and that voice isn't being used to push the left's politics, that voice should be taken away with you.
Which is funny, because a British vegan atheist most likely agrees with them a lot more than he does anyone reading this blog post right now. The problem is that Gervais thinks that we have a right to disagree with him on things, even occasionally tell a joke he may not like. Somehow, that makes him a conservative now.
Steven Tries Cat-Calling! | Crowder Classics (2014) youtu.be
Not subscribed to the podcast? Fix that! It's completely free.
- Transgender Icon Jessica Yaniv Threatens to Block Ricky Gervais ... ›
- Ricky Gervais Scolds Violent Leftists Like Antifa and Their Milkshake ... ›
- Ricky Gervais Levels the Golden Globes with Jeffrey Epstein Joke ... ›
- Ricky Gervais Defends Women, J.K. Rowling Against Hateful ... ›
- Ricky Gervais Nails PC Culture: "Just Because You're Offended ... ›
- Ricky Gervais Just Destroyed Jessica Yaniv's New Transgender ... ›
- Ricky Gervais Provides the Final Word to his Golden Globes Critics ... ›
- Ricky Gervais TORCHES Hollywood's Politics at the Golden Globes ... ›
- Ricky Gervais Mocks Creepy Jessica Yaniv with Halloween ... ›
- Ricky Gervais Defends REAL Women Against Trans Creep Who ... ›
- Ricky Gervais Issues a Challenge: Who's Gonna Cancel Me? - Louder With Crowder ›
- Rowan Atkinson Calls Cancel Culture a 'Medieval Mob,' Is Immediately Proven Right by Twitter - Louder With Crowder ›
- Ricky Gervais TORCHES Hollywood's Politics at the Golden Globes - Louder With Crowder ›