Some of you are Trump supporters, some of you aren’t. Regardless, can you imagine if Americans ever burned the likenesses of Mexican officials/celebrities in effigy as they did with Trump in Mexico?
This country’s artisans usually set fire to effigies of unpopular Mexican politicians in their “burning of Judas” ritual every Easter weekend. This year, the politician they love to hate the most is an American: Donald Trump.
The Republican presidential front-runner has enraged people here with his portrayal of many Mexicans entering the USA as “criminals, drug dealers, rapists;” his vow to build a wall along the Mexican border and make Mexico pay for it, and his complaint about good U.S. jobs fleeing to Mexico.
So they are stuffing papier mâché figures of The Donald with fireworks, hanging them in the public square and lighting the fuse. Mexican media report effigies of the New York businessman being blown up in at least six cities.
Now, there are certainly plenty of things I don’t like about Donald Trump. But my gripes with the man have nothing to do with “racism.” The idea that he hates Mexicans or that he’s “slandered” Mexicans is simply a myth. Believing in actual borders and respecting our legal immigration process isn’t racist in the slightest. It’s common sense. You know who supports these ideas more than most Americans?
Immigrants. Legal ones. Yes, leftists.
You know who else has harsher immigration policies than the United States? Mexico. No really, the current Mexican immigration laws require the following.
- in the country legally;
- have the means to sustain themselves economically;
- not destined to be burdens on society;
- of economic and social benefit to society;
- of good character and have no criminal records; and
- contributors to the general well-being of the nation.
- immigration authorities have a record of each foreign visitor;
- foreign visitors do not violate their visa status;
- foreign visitors are banned from interfering in the country’s internal politics;
- foreign visitors who enter under false pretenses are imprisoned or deported;
- foreign visitors violating the terms of their entry are imprisoned or deported;
- those who aid in illegal immigration will be sent to prison.
Hmmm… Sounds a whole lot more “intolerant” than anything Trump or Cruz has proposed. So maybe we should be burning Mexico’s officials in effigy? What with the racism at all. Then again, Mexico is a nation that’s remained entirely inconsequential since the birth of the modern world. I’m sure they have people far more burn-worthy than Trump, it’s just that nobody cares about their silly little politicians. They’re irrelevant. Maybe that’s why they burn things. To make the local news every now and then.
Final note: when looking for people who have American’s best interests at heart (regarding the elections), don’t look to Mexico. Maybe look to, oh, I don’t know… Americans. Call it a start.