MEDIA BIAS: Trump vs. Hillary Coverage
The media is biased. Donald Trump has bad hair. Hillary Clinton is the devil. You know what all three have in common? TRUTH. But the media has a tendency to focus more on bashing Republicans, while sticking their butch-cutted heads into the sand when it comes to Democrat scandals.
Here be the resources:
- All of Donald Trump’s Accusers: A Timeline of Every Alleged Grope and Assault
- Crossing the line: How Donald Trump behaved with women in private (NYT FEATURE)
- The Floodgates Are Open on Trump Sexual Assault Allegations
- Donald Trump, Groper in Chief
The media appears to be reconstructing the Trump equivalent of Bill Clinton’s high-profile sex scandals, which include Monica Lewinsky, Paula Jones, Sally Perdue, Kathleen Willey, Gennifer Flowers, and Juanita Broaddrick, among others.
From the Washington Post:
“She discredited claims later revealed to be true and worked behind the scenes to help manage the allegations, according to former aides.
In November, the issue surfaced again after the Democratic candidate sent out a tweet saying that assault victims deserve to be believed. At a public forum in December, a questioner confronted Clinton and asked whether her comment also applied to her husband’s accusers.
‘I would say that everybody should be believed at first,’ she said, ‘until they are disbelieved based on evidence.’”
“I am not gonna comment on what I did or did not say back in the late 90s.” – Clinton to ABC’s Diane Sawyers in 2014 when asked if she referred to Monica Lewinsky as a “narcissistic looney toon” after Lewinsky’s affair with Bill Clinton went public.
To their credit, the mainstream media hasn’t turned a blind eye to the Clintons’ scandalous history. But they’ve somehow managed to twist the narrative in a way that makes Hillary the victim.
Those darn scandals can’t seem to stop meddling with the election.
#2 TRUMP FOUNDATION VS CLINTON FOUNDATION
Top five questionable practices of the Clinton Foundation (small board of directors that include Hillary and Bill’s closest pals, no oversight committees, no term limits for board members, virtually zero independent board members, shady political dealings and cronyism)
- There is a large body of evidence that suggests the Clinton Foundation has been a conduit for foreign donations:
“There is the implication from publicly available documents that Hillary has already acted in a corrupt manner to use her position as secretary of state under President Obama to funnel large foreign donations to the Clinton Foundation.”
- And let’s not forget the 2010 donations to Haiti earthquake relief that mysteriously vanished.
- The Washington Post has hit the Trump Foundation the hardest, running a series of pieces on how Trump used the charity to bail himself out of personal business and legal problems.
- The Times highlighted how the Trump Foundation failed to registeras a non-profit in certain states prior to fundraisers:
“…the Clinton Foundation, associated with Mr. Trump’s campaign rival, Hillary Clinton, and former President Bill Clinton, appears to be registered in nearly all the states, according to a search of state charity records. And the failure of a prominent charity like the Trump Foundation to register could raise questions about the efficiency of its operations.”
#3 ATTACKS ON FREE SPEECH
The media is mesmerized by Donald Trump’s obsession with lawsuits, particularly ones that attack the First Amendment.
The nominee’s most recent threats came over the weekend during a speech the candidate gave in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. On Saturday, Trump vowed to sue “all of these liars” (i.e. mainstream media outlets like The New York Times) for damning reports.
The media took it upon themselves to inform the public that if Trump were to follow through, he wouldn’t stand a chance. The reason? Yup, the First Amendment.
- If Donald Trump Sued the New York Times or His Accusers, It Would Be a Suicide Mission
- Trump puts press freedoms in his crosshairs
Back in June, USA Today published an article detailing the 3,500 legal cases involving Trump, which range from business-related to political.
Gizmodo reported that there is now an online clock that shows you how long it has been since Trump last threatened a lawsuit.
Hillary has called for a constitutional amendment to overturn the Citizens United Supreme Court ruling, which addressed the First Amendment right to free speech as it pertains to censorship of opposing political views. SCOTUS ruled that the FEC could not limit political speech, comparing the action to book burning. It is important to remember that Citzen’s United was, at the core, about the right of someone to make a movie.
Repealing Citizens United has the effect of repealing the First Amendment for the very thing it was meant to do - protect political speech. The First Amendment isn’t about being able to sell porn, it’s about political speech.
Overall, the mainstream media seemed fine with Clinton’s suggestion:
- The Atlantic: How to Reverse Citizens United
- WaPo: Clinton will push constitutional amendment to ‘overturn Citizens United’- note there was nothing from a pro-Citizens United view in this piece. (Just a throwaway line about Ted Cruz calling it an attack on the first amendment -
- Salon: The hard truth about Citizens United
Clinton mentioned the case during the third and final presidential debate in the context of eradicating the influence of dark money in the election cycle, the Daily Caller reported:
“For me, that means that we need a Supreme Court that will stand up on behalf of women’s rights, on behalf of the rights of the LGBT community, that will stand up and say no to Citizens United, a decision that has undermined the election system in the country because of the way it permits dark, unaccountable money to come into our electoral system,” she said at the start of the debate.
The Daily Caller cited The Center for Responsive Politics data that reveal Clinton accepted $143.5 million from outside donors compared to Trump’s $40 million.
#4 VIOLENCE AT RALLIES
The media jumped on Michelle Fields’ assault allegations against former Trump campaign manager Corey Lewandowski and reported the “chaos” that accompanied the Republican National Convention in July.
Clinton campaign inciting violence at Trump rallies:
- Project Veritas’ “Rigging the Election” video series revealed that non-profit organizations agreed to send agitators to incite violence at Trump rallies in exchange for money from the Clinton campaign and the DNC.
- What did the media have to say about that? James O'Keefe of Project Veritas was paid by the Trump Foundation to dig up dirt, therefore the videos are suspicious and probably fake.
- Plus, Clinton Spox Robby Mook says it's not credible, so it’s not credible:
"This was, again, a video that was leaked out for the purpose of damaging the campaign," Mook told CNN’s Jake Tapper. "It is edited so we don't know what the full context is. And there is no evidence whatsoever that we have been able to find that anyone ever did anything like this when they were working for the (Democratic National Committee)."
#5 TRUMP TAXES VS WIKILEAKS
Podesta’s emails and Trump’s taxes were both obtained by the media via whistleblowers. The media, save Chris Wallace has treated them very differently.
Here’s a clip from Fox News Sunday:
Mook tried to deflect a question on the Morrocco pay to play allegeations by saying the videos were obtained illegally. Wallace then asked, what makes the Trump tax returns any different, and added that the Clinton campaign was very excited to tout those.
The overwhelming media narrative on the Trump tax front was negative.
- WaPo: Trump’s defenses of not paying taxes pretty much say it all
- NYT: Donald Trump Tax Records Show He Could Have Avoided Taxes for Nearly Two Decades, The Times Found
The media has covered for Wikileaks (DNC Chair Donna Brazile Melts Down when Questioned on Wikileaks):
- WaPo/Volokh : ‘Remember, It’s illegal to possess’ WikiLeaks Clinton emails, but ‘it’s different for the media,’ says CNN’s Chris Cuomo
- NYT downplays information contained in Wikileaks emails in Editorial over the past weekend.
Here’s more on the actual Morocco scandal uncovered by Wikileaks.
- The Clinton campaign can’t stop complaining about Russia’s “interference” in our elections. Meanwhile, Hillary is taking a $12 million payout from Morocco.
- The media’s response was surprisingly fair (even Trump-hating Huffington Post and The Atlantic, except for this piece from Vox, which says the “claims are overblown
- Vox - The Hillary Clinton "scandal" involving Morocco, explained
NOT SUBSCRIBED TO THE PODCAST? FIX THAT! IT’S COMPLETELY FREE ON BOTH ITUNES HERE AND SOUNDCLOUD HERE.