Five Things to Know About Transgender Olympic Weightlifter Laurel Hubbard
Watch where you step. There are shards of glass everywhere you look from the ceiling that's just been shattered. Weightlifter Laurel Hubbard became the first transgender Olympic athlete and was named to the New Zealand team. A decision that, like much having to do with formerly biological men competing in women's sports, comes with some controversy. But who is Laurel Hubbard? What makes her tick? Is she both beautiful AND brave, or just one or the other? Here are five things to know.
1. She used to be a he.
Laurel, a girl, was born Gavin, a guy. Gavin Hubbard was also a competitive weightlifter. Until 2012, when Gavin became Laurel. Laurel still competes in weightlifting competition, only now against women. Because Laurel is a woman, unlike Gavin, who was a guy.
2. Laurel has been kicking lady ass for a few years.
Laurel burst on the scene winning an International title in 2017 and ended the year placing second in the world's championship. Competing against women, of which Laurel was one now. In 2018 she snapped her elbow during competition but has since recovered and is all set for the Tokyo games.
3. The Olympics changed the rules for her.
In order for Hubbard to compete, the Olympic committee changed the qualifying guidelines and set an acceptable level of testosterone for women to have prior to committing. Prior to this, having elevated testosterone compared to the people you were competing against was considered cheating.
4. Other female weightlifters have been told to calm down about her.
They are some weightlifters who have been women their entire lives who feel it is unfair for Hubbard, who used to compete as a male, to now be competing as a female. Reports surfaced a few months ago that some of those competitors were advised not to speak out.
"We're all about equality for women in sport but right now that equality is being taken away from us.
"I've had female weightlifters come up to me and say, 'What do we do? This isn't fair, what do we do?' Unfortunately, there's nothing we can do because every time we voice it we get told to be quiet."
5. Laurel just wants to be treated with respect.
Transgender weightlifter Laurel Hubbard asks critics to 'treat people like me with respect' www.youtube.com
The postponed 2020 Tokyo Games will be held from July 23 to August 8. We here at Louder with Crowder would like to wish all the Olympic athletes the best in their endeavors. We'll be watching this groundbreaking female weightlifting competition with much interest.
Looking for a fashionable way to support Louder with Crowder? Get your swag at Crowdershop today!
Megan Rapinoe CANCELLED? Asian-American READS Her Racist Tweet | Louder With Crowder youtu.be
- High School Girl Beat by Transgender Athletes Speaks Out - Louder ... ›
- Video of Australian Transgender Athlete Highlights Huge ... ›
- WIN! USA Powerlifting Bans Transgender Women from Female-Only ... ›
- George Takei Kicked Caitlyn Jenner Out of LGBTQ Community ... ›
- South Park Tackles Transgenders Competing in Women's Sports ... ›
- Gov. Ron DeSantis Signs Pro-Girls' Sports Bill - Louder With Crowder ›
- Caitlyn: Biological Boys Shouldn't Compete in Girls' Sports - Louder ... ›
- WATCH: Female Athletes Speak Out Against Transgender Athletes ... ›
- Poll: Banning Biological Males from Girls' Sports, - Louder With ... ›
- FINALLY! Girls Sue to Block Transgender 'Women' From Competing ... ›
- CBS Roots for America to Fail at the Olympics - Louder With Crowder ›
- Women's Weightlifters Respond About Laurel Hubbard - Louder With Crowder ›