‘Christian Atheist’ Explains Importance of Christianity in the Western World
‘Christian atheist’ seems like a contradiction in terms if there ever was one. Christians might raise an eyebrow as they read it, but many atheists will recoil and refuse to admit such a thing could be used to describe any of them. But Douglas Murray is here to let them all in on the secret: You’re probably a Christian atheist.
What Is a Christian Atheist? Douglas Murray Stops by the Studio to Explain! | Louder With Crowderyoutu.be
“It means I’m not a believer in God, or at least, I find it very hard to believe in God—I’d say maybe agnostic is better—but obviously, I’m a Christian because I was born in a Christian civilization. […] I just think it’s absurd not to concede the fact that much of what we have in America, Britain, [and] Canada is derived from Christian ethics. Right? Christian ideas. And why deny that? […] What are human rights but a kind of derivation of a form of spilled Christianity?”
Murray has a solid point that, I think, it would be impossible for any honest atheist (talking about contradicting terms) to deny. Sam Harris might argue until he’s blue in the face about how science can determine morality—and he tries his best in his book The Moral Landscape (and fails, mind you—God bless his soul)—but the foundation upon which that ethic is built is rooted deeply in Judeo-Christian values.
Science does cannot create a moral framework. It doesn’t say that all people should be treated as valuable simply because they are people. That’s a Christian notion.
“There’s no reason to have human rights. They’re not self-evident.”
Harris’ argument about deriving the maximum good from science is nonsense because “good” without something upon which to base “good” is completely subjective. And if he’s going to point at Sharia Law and say, “No one really wants that,” well, I can point to a number of people attempting to export it to the West.
And while Murray doesn’t name drop any specific atheist—I just feel like ragging on Harris because he’s so blinded by his own ego—he does have a warning for those who would so quickly call for a complete detachment from the Christian religion and its ideas.
“I think that you should just concede these things where they’re true. And even if they’re against your interests. […] It’s important to concede this because you should try to work out, I think, whether you want to engage in sawing off a branch of a tree you’re sitting on.”
The Louder with Crowder Dot Com Website is on Instagram now!Follow us at @lwcnewswire and tell a friend!
- School Board Directs Cops to Swarm Mother, Kick Her Out - Louder ... ›
- Dear Liberals: Yes, Some Religions Are Much Better Than Others ... ›
- Catholic University Displays Paintings of George Floyd ... as Jesus ... ›
- David Hogg Tries Using Jesus Christ to Argue Against AR-15s ... ›
- Why Does Hollywood Hate 'To Save a Life'? - Louder With Crowder ›
- University Speaker Calls on Christians to 'Ethically Lie' - Louder With ... ›
- 'Conservative Christians Need to Die': Teacher Caught on Video ... ›
- James Gunn Defends Chris Pratt Against Latest Outrage - Louder ... ›
- Yes I'm a Christian. Yes, I Carry a Gun. No, It's not 'Hypocritical ... ›
- OPINION: No, You Cannot be a "Pro-Choice" Christian - Louder With ... ›
- Video Hits Alyssa Milano Over Shameless Race Pandering - Louder ... ›
- Ricky Gervais: Here's Why Cancel Culture Crosses the Line ... ›
- Hollywood Defunds Sheriff's Dept During Massive Crime Surge - Louder With Crowder ›