British Satirist Jonathan Pie Goes OFF on Political Correctness in Comedy
We live in stupid, privileged times. So stupid and so privileged people busy themselves being offended by jokes. There used to be a time where one could say "I don't think that's funny" then turn the comedian off or leave the club. Now "I don't think that's funny" has translated into "Kill him." Okay, slight exaggeration, but the demand to censure those some find offensive, a practice more suitable for human-rights-violating dictatorships, has found its way into the westernized world. Here to comment, British Satirist Jonathan Pie.
Pie is mostly referring to Louis CK, the man better known for his vigorous performances of a one-man romance with a mostly unwilling female audience. Louis recently performed at a club where he mocked the Parkland kids' penchant for politics, as well as the stupid practice of gender identity pronouns.
Despite CK being a gross sicko, the jokes were funny. Multiple things can be true at once: Louis CK can be icky, Louis CK can also be funny.
But for the "woke" left, multiple things cannot be true. For them, anything which is politically correct, like gender pronouns, transgender anything, or the Parkland Bunch who got all up in our faces last year, should not ever be the punchline of jokes. Despite the nature of jokes, where anything can be a punchline. The left is taking their offense and transforming it into fascist tactics to seek the silencing of he or she who dares mock whatever cause the left has deemed unmockable.
Also, the United Kingdom's government is terrible and polices speech all the time:
- Count Dankula Convicted for Hate Crime Over Teaching Pug Nazi Tricks
- British Police Arrest Nine People a Day for Posting Offensive Messages Online
- UK Police Warn People Not to Speak Out Against Terrible Treatment of Alfie Evans
And as Pie hints, offense policing is rather a scary thing. Which is why we've continually beat the comedy war drum, insisting anything can be mocked. You are free to make comical whatever you choose. You're also free to find whatever you like funny or unfunny. But you're not allowed to ban that which you find distasteful simply because you find it distasteful.
OT SUBSCRIBED TO THE PODCAST? FIX THAT! IT’S COMPLETELY FREE ON BOTH ITUNES HERE AND SOUNDCLOUD HERE.
- Gay RV Park Accused of Transphobia for 'Guys Only' Rule - Louder With Crowder ›
- Canadian Man Jailed After Referring to Biological Daughter by Wrong Pronoun - Louder With Crowder ›
- Monopoly's Getting Woke Update, Want Fans to Vote on New Community Chest Cards - Louder With Crowder ›
- Theater Cancels 'Cinderella' Because Too Many White People Were In It - Louder With Crowder ›