A Donald Trump Guide: The Good, The Bad... and The Hair
Welcome to the morning after the first GOP debates. The #kidstable, #happyhour debate was owned lock, stock and shotgun barrel by Carly Fiorina. The 'main course' GOP debate? A number of polls have Trump dominating.
Donald Trump, the good:
- Credit where credit is due: Trump is entertaining. He's not afraid to point out flaws, either in policy or in his fellow candidates, and name-calling comes second nature. That Rosie O'donnell joke? Gold, Jerry.
- Donald Trump also loves America, and as a business man, he can both see where a problem exists and comes up with a way to deal with it. He finds ways to make his ideas work, because his work matters to him.
Donald Trump, the bad:
- But as a both Carly Fiorina and moderator Megan Kelly pointed out, Trump has donated to the Clintons. Last night at the GOP debate, Trump claimed he donated to the Clintons because he wanted the Clintons to attend his wedding... uh, why? If you're going to pay a Clinton for a wedding, shouldn't it be to keep Hillary away? Like, "Here's $100,000 you wanted. Please keep the parachute-panted suit at home."
Ah, memories. Good times. Image source.
- Trump likes to switch parties and has identified as a democrat. Trump would probably tell you, if you asked, he switches parties depending on who's in office, in order to be politcally expedient. He's what progressives might call "party-fluid." Question is, what party will he decide to be on any given day in the oval office?
- He's also very open about the fact that he's tried to buy and sell politicians in the past. He said as much last night. So much so, that he declared himself the ultimate politician, claiming "I have more political experience than anybody."
- Also worth noting, Trump thinks single-payer healthcare works in Canada. But...it doesn't.
This was just the first debate. How will Trump perform in future debates? He'll likely be just as entertaining and brash, but jury's still out on whether his answers will be conservative or progressive.